Wednesday 19 January 2011

Pizza Toasts

Last night I had heaps of bread to use up. I had been to the supermarket and bought bread thinking we had none but realised we already had 2 loaves. Therefore I wanted to think of a way of using it up.
The kids always love pizza toasts, and usually as a lunch I think it is fine, but for dinner I wanted to make sure it was full of nutrients and (hidden) vegetables. I decided to make a base out of vegetables and blend it up so the kids didn't know they were eating so healthily. I did it like this:

Finely chop garlic, onion and mushroom and fry together in a pan. Add some peppers (any colour will do) and then other vegetables you might like (I added carrot and courgette as well and you could add some borlotti or red kidney beans for extra protein). Once cooked at italian herbs and a tin of chopped tomatoes. Then blend with a stick blender.
This makes a nice thick sauce. Then toast the bread on one side under the grill. Add 2-3 dessertspoons of the sauce and top with extra veg and cheese. I added slices of mushroom and olives and topped with melting soya cheese.

The kids loved it, they got their nutritious veg and I used up some of my bread. Brill!!

No comments: